Monday, September 9, 2013

Hornato's Astral Claws - A work in progress

 photo temporary_zps0356d5e1.jpg


Thought I would post an army that I have been working on for the better part of two years that is still ways away from where I want it. What started as an army for Adepticon 2012 has turned into me trying to do an entire chapter. The great thing about the Astral Claws is that no one knows where they came from as far a successor chapter so I can run any set of rules or any book with them. What is fluffy is how they steal gene-seeds from the marines that have fallen. So rest assured if your chapter goes to war with the Astral Claws then likelihood is good they have your seed safely in their stock balance. I have ran this army using Deathwing rules from Dark Angels, Grey Hunter packs from Space Wolves, and the 5 Landraider list from Blood Angels. Not to mention good ole Chaos Space Marines.

 photo temporary_zps756e88a1.jpg
 photo temporary_zps026cfa6b.jpg
 photo temporary_zps7be0aa9b.jpg
A look at the troops and you will see that I have mixed bag of armour. I am hoping to get about three squads of each style of armour when its all said done. This is getting more difficult each and every year as forgeworld just keep pumping them out. I currently have about 60 marines in various phases of paint. As well as I have commissioned Tobias with painting 100 scouts for my apocalypse force.

 photo temporary_zps5091864a.jpg
 photo temporary_zps24b1ec21.jpg
 photo temporary_zps0356d5e1.jpg
As far as HQs I have a custom Lugft Huron model that is a mix of scibor and forgeworld. The original forgeworld sculpt will be used but he didn't seem big enough for me. Then we have the Huron Blackheart model that I use as Huron or a librarian in a space marine force. He has magnetized arms to trade out the claw and bolt pistol. Finally a techmarine that proved valuable in the 5 land raider list.

 photo temporary_zpsc981bc9b.jpg
 photo EA4993D5-3172-4BA4-B2A5-409E87E1DC1F-393-000000BC830B6CE2.jpg
 photo temporary_zpsb406f016.jpg
In the Eletes section we have terminators and a Contemptor Mortis Pattern. I love this guy so much I have two more awaiting the assembly. By the way if you buy the assault cannon arms for this guy be patient and give yourself some time because they stink to put together. The terminators are awaiting the rest of their bretheren. I have 40 in total that are painted to a decent standard but need additional work to match the rest.

 photo temporary_zpsfe41f552.jpg

 photo temporary_zps86a540db.jpg

 photo temporary_zps1d3e10aa.jpg

 photo temporary_zps72ad3c1f.jpg

 photo temporary_zps62db8c21.jpg

Finally we have the vehicles for this mighty force. We have enough transports for a company to ride in style. Once I complete the additional landraiders we will have 2 of each variant and a few forgeworld variants. I have paused work on the predators and vindicators till I get the additional ones caught up. Love me some ebay as I was able to pick up 3 additional predators and 3 additional vindicators for less than $120 in total. Need some love but I usually rip them apart anyway.

So these are my babies. Current projects on the board for the claws is a 9th Company. I have 4 of every devastator squad in various levels of assembly and my scouts are on the work table of someone else. This army is really cool and easy to paint, which is why I have stuck with it. All the marines you see were painted by me and then dipped in the low shade of army builder shades. I love this stuff and when I get to that stage again I will be posting a step by step paint, dip and spin technique. Much easier and faster than anything else.

Now go get your game on with the new space marines codex.

 photo temporary_zps56b747b7.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment