Wednesday, September 25, 2013

GW Space Marine Centurions Painting and simple Basing


 photo 9-23-2013074_zps87d35781.jpg
                     photo 9-23-2013070_zpsac2b509e.jpg

Recently Tobias gave us a run down of how he did up a squad of Centurions for the North County Fantasy Shop display case.

Painting and Building

 photo 9-23-2013072_zps44a743a0.jpg photo 9-23-2013071_zps600eae8d.jpg"I did these Centurions for a local store. I was asked to do them as Ultra Marines. I like working with blue anyways. I started out with my air brush. I base coated with GW Kantor Blue. I then highlighted with my air brush using a mix of GW Altdorf Guard Blue and GW Macragge Blue. I based the whole model using GW Leadbelcher, GW Balthasar Gold, and GW Abbadon Black. I washed all silver parts and gold parts with GW Agrax Earthshade. I then took time to clean up all of the blue. I used some water blending for the blues. After I had everything cleaned up I decided the feet needed to be dirty. I just used some weathering powder mixes to make it look like they were kicking up dust while moving forward. That was the idea at least. I decided not to seal them because they are going to just sit in a case."

"These models were not hard at all to put together. The trickiest part would have to be the cables that go from the elbows to the back. The models are not able to be posed at all. They are what they are. You can interchange the arms, waist and legs, chest, and weapons. There are enough weapons to kit them in any configuration you want."
Basing

And for the Basing Tobias gives us a quick run down to get a professional look with amateur skills.

 photo 9-23-2013007_zps3f6eae8c.jpg                photo 9-23-2013004_zpsac83f6db.jpg

 photo 9-23-2013073_zpsf2b20e7c.jpg"I decided to try a simple basing technique this time. I simply painted on the GW granite which is one of their tech paints. I painted it on very heavy to give the base some grit. It takes a while to dry after this. I then base coated GW XV-88 followed by a heavy dry brushing of GW Terminatus Stone. I then applied a very heavy wash of GW Seaphim Sepia. I let it dry fully. I then did a very light dry brush of the same Terminatus Stone. Very simple and looks nice. You could always go further, maybe add some static grass, or even some skulls and shell casings."

Really looking forward to giving more run downs on simple painting and basing techniques. For more info head over to our site at http://www.gateway-gamers.com/videos.html

No comments:

Post a Comment